The farmhouse is truly a farmhouse, in that it has evolved continually and haphazardly since its core was built as a single-gabled Greek Revival house around 150 years ago. Greek Revival architecture was the dominant vernacular style in this region in the decades before the Civil War. The house was expanded twice, somewhat awkwardly, the last extension being added before 1935. At some point, Victorian Italianate decoration was applied to the porch, a feature that was added, removed in pieces to the barn in the 1960’s, then put back in the 1980’s. The siding was originally wood clapboard, which has covered with many layers of tar shingles before finally being sheathed in white vinyl faux clapboard in the 80’s. Walls and doors and windows and rooms have been altered and moved around repeatedly. No effort has ever been made to unify the design or materials of the house and there is evidence on or just beneath the surface of many eras and owners, each with there own idea of how it should look and function. In other words, although many aspects of the building are relatively old, there is nothing antique about it, no quaint original to restore. The major changes we, the current owners, have made were to remove most of the attic spaces, add a dormer to the kitchen roof and expand the kitchen.
The house has six bedrooms with eight beds that can accommodate 15 people, if completely shared. There is a great stone fireplace in the living room and a wood-burning stove in the kitchen. There are two tables capable of seating 10 and 14 people. The house has three full bathrooms.
On the lawn between the house and the barn is a stone patio with a crude but very effective wood/charcoal burning oven in which pizza baking, roasting and hot smoking can proceed with wonderful results…